Sunday, November 7, 2010

Knotty

I finished my first glove ever last night. Not a great picture, but I wanted to show it off. It is raining again, at least it is mild, so I couldn't go outside to take the picture. The pattern is Knotty by Julia Muellar (Laris) from Ravelry. I am using Berroco Ultra Alpaca Fine and 2.5mm needles. My first time making gloves, and my first time using this yarn. I had fallen in love with the color (Tiger's Eye) at my local yarn shop (From Ewe To You), and had to have it. It took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do with this yarn. I only wanted to buy one skein at first to see if I liked working with it. I didn't want to hide it away in a pair of socks so had picked out a scarf pattern, but I wasn't inspired by it, so decided to try gloves. The pattern is really well written, and easy to understand. Making gloves is finicky, but there is so many steps, and interest in the pattern, that it keeps you knitting. No fear of getting bored. Me index finger is a few rows too long. I thought about pulling it back, but it is not worth pulling out cast off stitches when it looks fine on the hand. I forgot to count my rows on the fingers, which is very odd for me, and I wish I had because it would have saved me time from trying it on over and over to check the lengh on my second one. When picking up stitches around the fingers it does leave some holes that have to be darned after, and with this fine yarn you have to make sure that you do not over darn and make the area bulky. I can't wait to cast on the second one today. I am also in love with this yarn. The color is beautiful, and the slight heathered color with hints of red in it speaks of late Fall to me. This was my first time using Berroco yarn and I am very impressed. I already have a sweater pattern picked out for Tessa using Vintage. I bought the booklet and just have to pick out the yarn. It will probably end up being the same color.

No comments:

Post a Comment